Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lathrop candidate Valencia answers questions

Manteca Live: What are the biggest problems facing Lathrop today and what do you suggest to fix those problems?

Rosalinda Valencia: The way I see it the biggest problem facing Lathrop right now is the Mayor and her inability to work well with other members of the council. We need a council that works well together to solve the issues. We need to stop the back door deals taking place at city hall. We need to work towards a solution to get the sewer up and running at the new High school ASAP!

If I am elected I will ask the tough questions not just rubber stamp things. My plan is simple: find the problems and work with those involved to reach a solution. I am willing not only to work with other members of the council but also the development community as well as the business community. I would love to get public input on any issue that comes before the council. I have already said publicly that if I am elected I want to know everything about every project going on in the city and about all programs that the city supports. I want to be able to talk to and ask questions of staff and expect to be given answers.

Manteca Live: Do you think Lathrop is "business friendly?" What do you think the city should do to attract new businesses?

Rosalinda Valencia: I will fight to make sure that Lathrop gets a business friendly attitude. We are in need of a great community development department and I will make sure that we get only the best in the business to head this department and any other department that I feel is not up to par, as it is my current belief that we are not now, or have in the recent past shown businesses that we are capable and willing to work with them to help bring the jobs that are so desperately needed in Lathrop.

One idea I have is to find out if we are able as a city to give tax incentive to companies that come to Lathrop by how many Lathrop residents they employ. The more residents they employ the bigger the tax incentive. This is just one thought I have, but need to find out if this idea is feasible or legal to do, but it is an idea. I havenʼt heard of any other ideas lately to help bring companies to Lathrop.

Manteca Live: What do you think is the biggest mistake or mistakes the current city council has made in the past several years and what would you have done differently?

Rosalinda Valencia: One of the biggest mistakes I strongly feel the current council has made is the pay as you go idea. I was the first one to speak before the council way back when that idea came about. I told the council as well as the developer, who left us without sewer for the high school, that they would be like used car salesmen coming in and lining their pockets and then leaving us to deal with the aftermath, and that is exactly what happened. I think that the council should have taken a closer look at the projects and the contracts that were signed prior to signing them. I do not think that any project should be started without having everything in place first. Things like storm drains, side walks, and especially sewer capacity.

Manteca Live: If you are elected to the city council, is there any law or ordinance you would like to see repealed? Is there any new law or ordinance you would like to see enacted?

Rosalinda Valencia: I feel the laws currently on the books are pretty good at this time and cannot think of one I would repeal at this time. I would, however, like to see the curfew changed to 10:00 P.M.

Manteca Live: Who is your favorite economist?

Rosalinda Valencia: I do not have a favorite economist. I do however like to watch the CNN news channel to get up the minute information as to what the DOW & Nasdaq are doing on a daily basis.

Manteca Live: What is your favorite book?

Rosalinda Valencia: I like books by Danielle Steel but I am currently reading a book entitled The Penny Whistle. I also enjoyed the book The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

Manteca Live: What is your favorite movie?

Rosalinda Valencia: I know itʼs a chick flick but I love the movie Steel Magnolias and yes it still brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

Manteca Live: Our thanks to Rosalinda Valencia, candidate for Lathrop city council, for answering our questions.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. Valencia,
    You are claiming back door deals are done! Would you like to explain just what deals you are referring? In the recent past you've claimed the current Mayor was too close to the developers and business interests by accepting contributions and yet it was determined by the grand jury that she was acting in an ethical and legal manner. Did you apologize for your false accusations?
    Mayor Sayles voted against the "pay as you go", did I hear that you gave her credit for this? I know she was aware of it long before you ever saw the issue. Maybe the Mayor doesn't get into back room deals but one should also recognize the importance of negotiations outside of the public view. Businesses and organizations need the flexibility to discuss issues without being attacked during the discussion process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BY: Rosalinda Valencia

    One deal I would like to bring to light is the deal that
    MR. Salvatore got was a high paying job with the city about one month after he through his position with KB Homes helped the mayors charity that she is or was at the time president of
    South County crisis center. KB Homes was a major sponser. About a year ago. well two weeks prior to the charity Bar-B- que taking place I have been told by a honest person Mr. Salvatore was inviting some very important people in town to the charity Bar- B- Que. the probelm lies here the event was a compition between fire houses each fire house choose a chartiy that if their station won the $5000,00 prized would go to. needless to say the fire station that had the south county crisis center has their charity won. my question is how did Mr. Salvatore know this station would win two weeks prior to the event taking place??? another problem with this event was that Mayor Sayles was also a judge for this event. ( wouldn't that be a conflick of interest on the mayors part?) Well here is thing reagrding the back door deals about one month after the event Mr. Salvatore gets a job working for the city of Lathrop making big money.... makes you wonder. I spoke about this to the mayor in open session a few months back it is all on tape. I questioned her if she thought it was wise to be a judge knowing that a charity that she was the president of was one of the charities who stood to win $5000.00. she did not answer. I also made a comment about how I thought Mr. Salvatore came about his poistion with the city. still no response. I told her in open session that I know she would say that only the city manager could do the hiring or firing but I also told her who does the city manager ulimatly answer to (the mayor right) so you asked for an example of back door deals that I feel are back door deals this is just one example.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. RV.....
    You couldn't be more incorrect on this one! Steve Salvatore got the job because he was the most qualified candidate. As for the so-called "High-paying Job".....in comparison to what? His experience and talents in the public sector would pay him double if not triple what the city pays him. Those that work the construction trades have a tendency to have to travel and move around to maintain the standard of living our families have grown accustom to. Did you ever consider that he just may want to spend less time on the road and more time with his 3 year old son and pregnant wife? Steve is an asset to the city staff and a breath of fresh air. He comes from a world of rallying the troops and getting things done without EVER jeopardizing the integrity of the project or risk to the city. Steve has given freely to this community because Steve has a big heart. Steve is not KB Homes......He just worked there and decided to pursue a city position he was qualified for when the opportunity presented itself.
    Dont make false accusations about this guy or you just might find yourself in court for defamation of character.....Steve is a good honest dude and would NEVER knowingly dishonor himself, his family or his community. Rosalinda....Not everyone that works for city government is part of a sinister plot.....We are fortunate to have several very qualified individuals at city hall and Steve is one of them!
    Dan Mac Neilage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ms. Valencia,
    Do you see goblins and spooks under every rock and behind every door.
    The point of the whole barbeque was to give the money to some non-profit and I am sure the firemen did not care who it went to. They may correct me if I am wrong. As to the back room deals? It must be the same thinking that caused you to file a false claim against the current mayor without any factual evidence to back up your claim even when the grand jury found her innocent and ethical in her dealings with developers and as the City's representative. Did it occur to you when you abstained from votes relative to the developer's interests that would have given you a clue. Apparently not!!
    The City Manager answers to the City Council last time I checked and any actions by the Mayor must have the majority of the council agreeing with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well well well, it appears that some city employee or the mayor herself sees it necessary to defend herself here without adding her name.

    What about dunking your son's head in the pool as a form of discipline? Or your attempts to have the chief cover it up? Do you think the Attorney General's Office doesn't know about it? Do you think Internal Affairs isn't looking into it?

    So much more to the story of Lathrop. Don't forget, your neighbors have eyes too.

    ReplyDelete