Friday, September 12, 2008

Union Cemetery photographs

In case anyone is interested I did photo-document the cemetery in Oct 2003 and the photo album is on line. I thought it was one of the more interesting places in town. Look at the grave markers. Some of them say the person buried there was born in 1804. There may be earlier ones I didn't see.

Think about that. When this person was born, George Washington had just died five years earlier. Thomas Jefferson and many of the "founding fathers" were still living when this person was a teenager. Notice how many list the place of birth as England and some list when they came to the California Territory. Other boast of being a "California Native."

My favorite is the guy who I thought at first glance was buried with his cat. I think I'd like to be buried with a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment