Monday, March 01, 2010

Questions? What questions? What ordinance?

councilme

Just for the record.  I sent a letter to the city council with a list of questions about the new “code enforcement” ordinance.  You know, the one that turns Manteca into a giant homeowners association.  There was no response from any council member.  That was over two weeks ago.

At the meeting I asked if any had received my questions.  The City Clerk verified that “her staff sent a copy to each member.” 

I also asked if any of the council members had read the law they were voting on.  None of them, as best I recall, said anything definite about having read the text of the proposed ordinance.  In other words, they were voting on something they had not read.

After I left the podium the mayor was kind enough to acknowledge that he remembers getting my thoughtful letter but that “I didn’t read it.”  I’m sorry for wasting His Honor’s valuable time.  I’ll include pictures next time.

3 comments:

  1. What makes you a hero of America if, apparently, you can't even protect one small town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a damn good question! I didn't say I was a very good hero. I need the help of all the other American Heros out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be classified as a "HERO" does not mean you always succeed.
    It is someone willing and daring enough to try.
    A fireman that attempts to save a child from a burning building, only to pull it out and have it die in his arms is still a HERO.
    My idea of a HERO, is someone willing to step out and fight for what they believe is right, no matter how much they are ridiculed or ignored.
    So hang in there American Hero!

    ReplyDelete