Saturday, May 23, 2009

Remembering Sid

Sid would always extend a warm handshake and smile every time I saw him. I didn't know Sid well, I may have spent two hours with him in total. I wish I had gotten to know him better. We always think there will be time.

He reached out when I was wandering around the "farmer's market" thing at the downtown park. He yelled "I saw you on the TV!" Probably (I hope) a reference to my tirades insightful commentary complaining giving helpful suggestions about something the city government was doing. He asked me if I liked Manteca. (my response was "uh, well, eh...) He told me Manteca was the best place to live on earth! I could agree there were much worse places on earth. (Much worse and that's not so bad after all.)

He could tell I had things on my mind that day and said "let's take a walk" and he left his real estate sales table. I still remember his wise counsel. He introduced me to some of the movers and shakers in town and gave me advice on how to get along better with city officials -- a lesson I'm sure the staff and council would agree really stuck with me(!) But really it was helpful.

Another time I e-mailed him about something. I can't even recall what it was, maybe something about the taxes or the planning commission or tree program and I got a prompt response where he said he would look into it. I remember I hadn't really asked for anything to be done, I think I just wanted to know what he thought. But to Sid, any report of a problem was a call to action!

One day in the library some "kid," for some odd reason I'll never know (maybe it was my friendly face or something) asked me how some words in a book were pronounced and what they meant. I learned his name was Daniello and he had escaped a repressive regime in some Latin American nation (not Mexico, but I don't recall exactly). The book he was reading was interesting to me. Something about economics I believe. And as we discussed the concepts he was learning, he mentioned how he was helped by Sid Reams. Sid was teaching him something about the real estate business and how to be a success in America. He talked about how helpful he was and invited me to join them at that early morning meeting on Fridays (something like a "toastmasters" meeting). It occurs to me why he felt comfortable coming up to a complete stranger in the library and asking questions -- he knew people like Sid, and he probably thought all Americans were like Sid, ready and eager help. I probably disappointed him because I never went to the toastmasters meeting (at 6:30 am? Are they kidding?).

I did see Daniello a few other times though. Once was at the Street Faire where he was giving his story to people at the political booth, telling how America is such a wonderful country with all sorts of opportunities and he mentioned Sid then, too. Another time was at the local Burger King. Twice! Both times he was parked at a booth with a laptop computer and taking advantage of the free WiFi internet. It was like he'd set up his "office" in that booth. He had all sorts of spreadsheets and he told me how he was buying and selling real estate and how Sid had helped him. For all I know he was connected to AIG's computers and was speculating in credit default swaps. This was a few years ago.
Many of the photographs of Sid were taken at the two "rallies for the homeless" he helped organize at Library park. In addition to just grilling some hot dogs and giving away some used clothing, Sid encouraged the crowd. He set people up with getting medical and dental care. Some of his advice I still use today when I meet someone who needs to know where to get inexpensive medicine.
Sid didn't have illusions about the real world. At the rally I pointed out some guy who, the day before, either tried to kill me, rob me, or steal my camera (I couldn't figure out which, but I escaped). Sid said "oh, I know, some of them are a pain in the ... butt" and warned me to be careful. His wife, Karen, was there and she shook her head. Sid explained "Karen always tells me how dangerous it is." But Sid was determined, as if his life was in God's hands. He even mentioned "the homeless" tried to rob him a few times -- But his response was to be alert and aware but not to give up. People needed help!
I don't have much to comment on, at this point, on the last few weeks of Sid's life. There are too many unanswered questions and I'm not ready to close the book quite yet. Sid had been accused of heinous crimes incongruous with my view of his character; apparently based upon the word of one person of questionable reliability and no physical evidence. He was held in custody while the authorities couldn't answer questions. They claimed the "investigation was still ongoing." Sid was still waiting for the specifics of the charges to be outlined in court when he was finally evaluated by a doctor the day before the preliminary hearing was scheduled. The doctors determined, after being held in jail for almost a month, that he was so ill he couldn't be moved and needed urgent heart surgery. There hadn't yet been a word of testimony or a scrap of evidence presented in open court when Sid died shortly after surgery at U.C. Davis. The questions abound.
I did attend the all the court hearings except the one where the judged scoffed at his request for humanitarian relief and medical care. The next and last time I saw Sid he was obviously very ill. He looked at me and appeared to be in pain. I'd been sternly warned by the reporters from the Manteca Bulletin and Sun-Post not to try to speak to him -- court rules. So that was it. I never got to ask things; he wasn't able to tell me anything. The hearing was postponed (they were unable to provide him an attorney). Weeks passed before they finally decided maybe they should let a doctor see him.
In the America and the Manteca Sid loved, a man's entitled to his day in court and is innocent unless proven otherwise and that's how I'll think of Sid.
For those of you who want to celebrate Sid's life and all those he's helped, I've uploaded "proof sets" of photographs of Sid. These kind of photos were never meant to be published, but someone might like them. As you can see I'm a big fan of auto-drive (when you whale on the button and the hi-tech camera shoots a string of exposures).
Feel free to share anything you'd like about Sid in comments or if it's private you may e-mail me at joe@mantecalive.com .

4 comments:

  1. There are so many stories of my dad helping people. He was a truly generous person. I learned that from him. Thank you for this nice article. I obviously feel the whole court thing is total bs. My dad was awesome and I loved him. Daphne (Sid's oldest)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very sad to hear about Sid's death. He was very helpful to me when I wrote an article for the Tri-Valley Herald about the homeless rally he organized. I also wrote for the Sun Post and he would call and tell me which articles he liked. He was a very generous person.
    Cheryl W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda Reams9/12/09, 9:03 PM

    its been awhile since i saw the sad look on my dads face laying in that lonely box lifeless and cold. why he couldnt, even in his last breath, no matter what was going on in our "so called" judical system, say goodbye or i love you or kiss my ass or anything. i am hurt by my loss of my father and left wondering what our constution is really all about. keep it real people. brenda (his ungest daughter). PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Doooooley, our dogs will get along cause thats what family's do. please kiss Rebeca on her 22 year old forehead for me and always no that we , your nephew Otto and I love you.

    ReplyDelete